Home » , , , , » Walled garden ebooks?

Walled garden ebooks?


It's been a while since I bought an ebook, and my previous experience has been that you buy a book, download the epub file, and then you can read it with whatever e-reader it's compatible with. But I just bought a book from a chess website which - only after purchace - told me that I needed to download their app to read the book. I asked for a refund and looked on Amazon - only available for the Kindle app (not surprising, but time was you could download the file and use Calibre to convert it to epub). Google books - I didn't investigate too deeply, but it certainly looked like you could only use the google app.I caved and used the Apple books app. It looks like that's also locked to that one app, but at least it's an app I've already got and it seems that the file is downloaded to my device rather than needing to be connected to their servers.Are there any places left to buy books where you actually get a copy of the file, which you can then do whatever you want with? It seems to me that if book sellers are going to take the approach of music and TV/film streaming services, then that should apply to everything - that once you pay for a subscription and have access to everything or, at least, almost everything. via /r/ebooks https://ift.tt/o8tvR9s
Share this article :

Post a Comment